Ever wondered how Australia could go from a laggard to a leader when it comes to addressing climate change? Well, a comprehensive plan to turn around Australia’s lacklustre performance is on its way.
Next week, leading climate change solutions think tank Beyond Zero Emissions will launch their new report, From Laggard to Leader, which will spark a debate about Australia’s role in global efforts to address climate change. (The Yes 2 Renewables campaign has had a sneak peak at the report and can confirm it includes a big role for renewable energy.)
The report with put to rest three arguments (weak ones I might add) used by those who oppose the Australia taking leadership on climate change and energy policy:
- ‘Australia is only a small part of the climate problem’
- ‘We shouldn’t act before the rest of the world’
- ‘Our actions won’t make a difference, anyway’
Lead authors of Laggard to Leader Fergus Green and Rueben Finighan will outline Australia’s true impact on the climate and detail steps for how Australia can break the international climate policy deadlock in a series of launch events in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. The launches are a must for those who want Australia to lift its game.
- Melbourne, Monday July 23rd, 6.30-8pm @ the Sydney Myer Asia Centre, University of Melbourne, register here: http://laggardtoleader.eventbrite.com/
- Sydney, Tuesday July 24th – 6.30-8pm @ Building 4, Level 2, Room 34, University of Technology Sydney, Cnr Thomas & Harris Streets (Access off Harris St), Ultimo register here: http://laggardtoleadersydney.eventbrite.com/
- Brisbane, Thursday July 26th – 6.30-8pm @ Bleeding Heart, 166 Ann St, Brisbane, register here: http://laggardtoleaderbrisbane.eventbrite.com/