Signs that the Liberal Party is dominated by climate change deniers are becoming increasingly conspicuous:
- Famously, or infamously, Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott has said that “Climate change is crap” and the Federal Opposition is implacably opposed to PM Gillard’s carbon tax while not having an alternative policy to lower greenhouse gas production that any economist seems willing to support.
- In August 2011 the Baillieu Victorian Liberal government placed in force new laws that will make further wind power development very difficult;
- Around the same time NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell said that “if I had my way, we wouldn’t [approve any applications for wind farms in NSW]”;
- Also in August the WA Liberal Party voted ‘by an overwhelming majority’ for a Royal Commission into climate change science – indicating that they were not convinced that it is real.
- In September rumours were circulating that Isobel Redmond, Leader of the (Liberal) Opposition in South Australia, was considering introducing laws like those in Victoria when and if she gains power. (On 2011/09/27 I inquired of Ms Redmond’s intentions in regard to wind power should the Liberals win the next election. No reply as of 2011/10/04.)