Friends of the Earth media release, March 16 2012 Planning Minister Matthew Guy is playing a high risk strategy if he thinks he can give the go-ahead to some wind farms that were first approved by Labor, then criticise Labor for its stance on wind energy, Friends of the Earth renewable energy campaigner Ben Courtice said today. “Last year the Baillieu government implemented regressive planning laws that ban wind projects across much of the best wind resource in the state. As a result of this law, Victoria has already lost the potential for up to $525 million investment in wind … Continue reading Wind farms: Baillieu policy is still costing the state
In late August, the Baillieu government implemented new planning rules which place large sections of Victoria off-limits to wind farm developments through the creation of No Go zones, and set in place a 2 kilometre ‘right of veto’, whereby a single household can block any turbines within 2 kilometres of their home. In September, FoE released it’s initial estimate of lost and stalled investment under this policy. The figure at that point was up to $955 million investment and up to 580 direct jobs in construction, 57 on-going jobs, and 1,274 indirect jobs. This all happened within a month of … Continue reading update on costs of Victorian government wind policy
This article comes from the Warrnambool Standard, journalist is Alexandra Weaver. Win for $477m Hawkesdale, Port Fairy projects TWO major south-west wind farms are to become reality after a green light from the state government. Union Fenosa Wind Australia has secured planning permit extensions for projects at Hawkesdale and Ryan Corner, about 10 kilometres north of Port Fairy. Planning Minister Matthew Guy’s decision to grant the extensions goes against the wishes of Moyne Shire Council, which agreed in August the developer should not be given more time. Early construction works on the $477 million wind farms is now due to … Continue reading Win for $477m Hawkesdale, Port Fairy projects
In late August, the Baillieu government implemented new planning rules which place large sections of Victoria off-limits to wind farm developments through the creation of No Go zones, and set in place a 2 kilometre ‘right of veto’, whereby a single household can block any turbines within 2 kilometres of their home. Planning Minister Matthew Guy said he did not believe the two kilometre set-back policy would stop developers investing in wind energy Victoria. Premier Ted Baillieu has also rejected suggestions the changes would harm the wind farm industry. However, the facts of the matter suggest otherwise. Already we have … Continue reading What is the real cost of Ted Baillieu’s wind energy policy?
The following comes from the Warrnambool Standard. As its notes in the article, these projects would constitute $430 million worth of investment in renewable energy infrastructure, jobs, and business opportunities. This is now potentially lost to the region. Previously, the Coalition government has said it is “powerless” to control the biggest expansion of wind energy in Victoria’s history, with 1,322 new turbines planned across 28 developments that have already received planning approval by the last state government. The Hawkesdale and Yambuk projects are amongst this list of previously approved projects. This opens the possibility of other developments being knocked back … Continue reading Planning Minister “killing off $430 million worth of proposed investment”