Collgar Wind Farm will almost double renewable energy production in South West WA

The following comes from the proponent of this project.

Collgar wind farm

A $750 million renewable power project at Merredin in Western Australia’s central wheatbelt. Merredin farmers have leased portions of their properties to Collgar Wind Farm for the construction of the largest single stage wind farm in the southern hemisphere to date.

The giant Collgar project has been developed by international investment bank UBS and the Retail Employees Superannuation Trust (REST), Australia’s largest superannuation fund by membership with 1.8 million members. The UBS International Infrastructure Fund (UBS IIF) will retain a 60 per cent ownership of the project and the remaining 40 per cent will be held by REST. Project financing is provided by Australia’s four major banks, ANZ, NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth Bank as well as West LB and the Danish Export Credit Agency, Eksport Kredit Fonden (EKF).

On completion the Collgar Wind Farm, built over a land envelope of 18,000Ha, will have 111 Vestas V90 turbines with a power production capacity of 206MW, generating on average 792,000 MWh per year, enough to provide electricity to power a small city of 125,000 homes.

This is more than double the size and power generating capacity of the next two biggest wind farms in WA, at Walkaway near Geraldton and Emu Downs near Cervantes.

At completion, the Collgar Wind Farm will almost double the level of renewable energy in the South West Interconnected System (the electricity grid) from the current 5 per cent to 9 per cent.

Government policy has established a target 20 per cent renewable energy by 2020 across Australia.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s